Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Fry


A lot of emotions today I tell you, I was sad... scared... excited... confused... then happy, my mind was all over the place today.  Tomorrow I am making a big decision that will impact my near future in many ways.  Honestly, I believe I am making the right decision, but I fear what lies ahead.  In many ways, isn't being scared a good way to know if an individual is making the right choice?  Many times we pass on opportunities because of fear, but I believe fear usually turns into confidence over time.  At this point, my confusion and my thoughts will remain my own, but once I am determined on what I have to do, and actually do it, I will be more than willing to share my big news. 

Speaking of fear, the weather was scary today... wind gusts at 60 mph in the New York City area.  The closer you were to the water, the stronger winds grew.  The weather pretty much summed up my mood... the day started with pouring rain, then the sun came out, and then a drizzle here and there.

And now happy thoughts!  Pumpkin!  Today I made a Pumpkin Fry with South Indian spices.  I have already made the North Indian version of this dish here, so I figured I'd make the same dish using South Indian spices (the way my bff's (Anu) mom taught me), hence why I have so many names for this dish.
Gummadikayi means Pumpkin in Telugu; Kaddu means Pumpkin in Hindi.
Vepudu means Fry in Telugu.
I have to keep both regions happy and the west, of course.  :-)  
This dish is outstanding if I say so myself, my husband loved it and ate most of it... I seriously need to start making more quantity.  Enjoy!

TELL ME: What is one of life's most difficult decisions you have made?


NUTRITION: Pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A and Fiber.


INGREDIENTS:
  • Olive Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Black Gram Seeds (Urad Dal) - 2 tsp
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry Leaves - 8
  • Green Chilies - 2 (sliced)
  • Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
  • Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
  • Pumpkin - (cubed)... amount shown below
  • Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
  • salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Start with the following... chop the garlic and onion; slice the green chilies.

2. You will need about 8 curry leaves.

 3. Set aside your spices... mustard seeds, black gram seeds, and cumin seeds.

4. Heat a pan on medium heat, add oil, once hot, add mustard seeds.

5. Once the seeds splutter, add black gram seeds (urad dal).  Saute until they slightly change color.

6. Now add cumin seeds.  After 10 seconds or so...

7. Add turmeric powder.  Saute for 5 seconds.

8. Now add the green chilies and curry pata... STEP AWAY!  Be careful, the curry leaves will cause the oil to splutter.  This should be okay after 10 seconds or so.

9. Add the garlic and onions.  Season with salt.  Combine.  Reduce heat to low (dial #3).

10. In the meantime, get your pumpkin.  Here is the size I used.  

11. Cube the pumpkin... takes about 5 minutes.  Peel the skin off and simply rough chop.

12. After 5 minutes, add the pumpkin to the onions.  Season with salt and red chili powder.  Combine.   

13. Cover and allow this to cook for 20 minutes on low heat (dial #3).

 14. After 20 minutes, smash the pumpkins with a potato masher.  

15. This is what you should have.

16. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.

17. Adjust salt.  Add garam masala.  Turn off the gas.  Wait 15 minutes before serving... DELISH!


TELL ME: What is one of life's most difficult decisions you have made?



Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Post a Comment